Wednesday, August 05, 2009

On sorting files... part 1

For months now, I've been looking for a way to automaticaly sort my files. There is a lot of software for creating and maintaining some sort of media library for pictures, movies or music, but there is almost nothing else for "the rest". On my home computer, "the rest" is composed of 2600 files that occupies a grand total of 45G (although 23G of that is composed of iso files of Linux and BSD). Almost all of these files were downloaded from a website somewhere, either application from sourceforge.net, game add-ons from The Elder Scroll Nexus , Fallout 3 Nexus or Simtropolis or drivers from various hardware manifacturers.

Right now, the way I manage these files is mostly by hand. Everything goes into a "Download" folder (that I have since my BBS days), and it's then sorted by hand into several different folders... and that folder is in a perpetual "TO DO:not completely sorted" state... (since those BBS days...)

I wish I could just simply drop these files in a folder where they would automatically get sorted...

...And I don't think it's impossible to implement. Each of the files I have specifically mentioned comes from websites where the content is already classified. Sourceforge classifies projects among various categories and so does all the gaming communities, with Mods, maps, etc. The only thing required is a method of exchanging metadata.

Seems easy enough, but it's not. When you start to think about that problem you realize quickly that it's not really a technical problem. It's more a problem of getting everyone to work together with the same standard.

I have prepared a series of blog posts for each of part of the problem, a sort of brain dump of what I came up with in the past months. A single post would create the "Wall of Text" or TL;DR (too Long; Didn't Read). (And if I try to write something too big, as the Thinkgeek t-shirt says "I never finish anyth")

No comments: