Friday, May 29, 2009

Choosing Software

Wikipedia has really changed the way I do things... And I'm not talking about articles, I'm talking about choosing software.

Let me explain with an example. I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer (see previous post) and I wanted to try a new Media player. I've always been running Winamp and wanted something different...

The Wikipedia article on Winamp points to both a List of Media players and a Comparison of Media players. Using these lists, I found out that the best choice for me was Songbird. I also took notes of aTunes (and of course Winamp). I decided to use Songbird but I might change that decision because Songbird some interesting bugs on Windows 7 x64 (unsupported platform).

The same exercise can be done with CD burning Software points to a List of optical disc authoring software, which, in turn points to both CDBurnerXP and ImgBurn, both applications I have used in the past. It also shows that there is a CD Burning Open Source application on Windows called InfraRecorder (which I had never heard about).

I find this little "technique" of using "list of" article in Wikipedia very convenient.

No comments: