Thursday, January 18, 2007

A small set-back in the router project

Well, it seems after carefully considering my options for m0n0wall, it seems the best solutions is:

A linksys wrt54gl + Openwrt

Well, it is the economic one, but it is not very flexible, as the hardware of the Linksys is very limited. Still I'm impressed by the compabilities of OpenWRT. And it is only a quarter of the cost of building a full-fledge, or an embedded PC for the job. But I feel the Lynksys solution will be limiting....

So I continued my search, and I was kind of overwhelmed by what I found out... I had prepared a small table comparing the PCengine WRAP architecture with the Soekris hardware, but then someone told me about Mini-ITX form factor motherboards. (And I found out about the new Nano-ITX ).... After more research, I even found more Single board computer manufacturers, like Commell , MIS, Microsys, Versalogic, Evalue-tech, ...

It's like a whole world that existed right before my eye and I never saw it. Truly fascinating. There is even sites and stores dedicated to making Car PC. A pc for your car!

It seems I'll need more time to evaluate the possibles solutions to my simple 'making-a-home-router' project.

No comments: