Monday, April 23, 2007

VT, My toughts

I was listening to Twit 95. I stopped the playback after they stopped talking about the Virgina Tech school shooting, because I feel I have to get this opinion written first.

This is a horrible tragedy. A useless lost of life and something that should not be. We all know that, and we all agree.

But the similarities mostly ends there. And no one can agree on what should be done.

I especially blame the "traditional" media on doing the wrong thing.

They are all focused on the killer, the circumstances behind the killing, the dead, and the police response...

Sorry, as much respect I have for the dead, I think they should focus their attention on what is important now that it's over:

The living. And the heroes.

The teacher who try to save his student deserve more respect than he is getting right now. He gave his life, so his students could say "I am alive... thank to him"

I know there are others, but we don't hear about them.

And please, help the students. They are going trough a hard time right now.

Some will simply get over it easily.
Some won't be able to get near the school.
Some will have nightmares for months.
Some will commit suicide.

You will probably never hear from them, but they will have to carry the burden of for the rest of their lives.

I live in Montreal. I was 9 when, in 1989, someone decide that 14 women didn't deserve to live.

And it's been seventeen years since the Polytechnique shooting, and the first thing the local journalist did when VT happened was to go down and ask the student what they thought of the shooting.
Simple math will tell you that the oldest student was probably 4 or 5 in 1989. They don't remember a thing, and they simply said: "It's horrible. Now excuse me, I got finals in 2 days, I have to work"

And I think it's good that it has come to this.

And to the students of Virginia Tech:

Please go on with your lives. DO NOT GIVE UP. DO NOT LOSE HOPE. You have been caught in a what should have not be. Please, do not let the sacrifices be in vain. You can all do it. Cry all the tears in your body if you have to, but please, do not let the killer get what he wanted.

Be firm
Be strong

Surprise us all...

No comments: