Monday, February 26, 2007

Ideas behind educated dating problems

In my last post, I talked about how most of my well-educated friends are all single... I have my own little theory on the idea... Of course, this is my own interpretation, based on personal experience and it might not apply to everyone, but it's still a pretty good explanation for my own social group.

So, the idea behind dating is to meet people, see if they share a or several common interest and try to see if this relationship would work. It's not really hard to do, but there seems to be some limiting factors in those I see in college. Sometimes seems like an almost impossible task.... Why? Well, first let's break up the meeting concept a bit. It boils down to a couple of things things:
  • A place
  • A social context
  • Shared or mutual interest
In addition to this, you need:
  • Spare time
  • Motivation
I think these are the primary reasons why most of the single individuals I know tend to stay that way...
  • It's hard to find spare time (Time)
  • It's harder to find someone who share your field of interest (interest)
  • Don't feel at ease in the 'Traditional' meeting places, like bars (Place)
  • Lack of some social skills (social context)
  • Seeing how poorly you fare, you bury yourself in your work/study (Motivation)
I'm still unsure how exactly to break this sort of vicious cycle... I've got my own ideas on the subject, but could not come to significant conclusions in almost 2 weeks. It's such a simple yet complicated topic at the same time... I think I'll revisit the problem in a month or more to see if any significant developments can get me a fresh perspective...

No comments: