Friday, June 23, 2006

MMORPGs, the list

I am searching. Searching for a good game I could play online with friends. We can always play the usual UT2004, or Freelancer, or Starcraft, or whatever, but it's a sort of repetitive experience.

I want to find something persistent... Some universe we can go back to... Some form of building up with competition and cooperation that never really ends...

I'm thinking of getting my own Baren Realms Elite game server! (Ha! the good old times...) But since the new craze is all about MMORPGs, I decided to have a quick look at those, and here is a list of what I found interesting (sources here and here:

  • Shattered Galaxy - This is an older one in my mind because it's one of the first I played (back in 2002). Still a good game, and a rare breed of MMORPG with RTS (in other words, MMORTS). This game is free, but non-paying character suffer penalties.

  • Guild Wars, another free-to-play game. You only pay the initial price of acquiring the game. I might try this one has it seems to be casual-gamer-friendly.

  • Planeshift yet another free game, but this only is still in beta. This one is special, as the game engine is GPL, meaning you only will pay for things like artistic content and server access (once the game is finished)... Interesting title to say the least.

  • MapleStory - Free 2D anime-like cartoon game. No comments.

  • EVE Online - I could be considered a fan of this game. I played the 14 day trial, and liked it very much, but saw little incentive to pay for the game (considering I was unemployed at the time). I liked the huge skill tree that permit one to survive mostly on trading, or on mining, or fighting, etc. I also liked how you could, in theory, be a more casual gamer and only play a couple of minutes each day. (of course it always turned into an hour or two, but on some occasions, I only logged in, changed skill, and logged out.) The big downside to this game, is the fact that you aren't the pilot, the computer is: you tell it what to do, but it's more homeworld-like than space-sim, in that regard.

  • Jumpgate - an older Space-based MMO. The graphic looked dated by todays standard, but I don't know about the gameplay.

  • Rise - I could find little information on this game, but it seems a bit like Planetside, in which you have to fight for a planet.

  • Darkspace - Space-based MMORTS.

  • Vendetta Online - now this one seems interesting. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising. A real space sim with the story somewhere between EVE and freelancer.

  • Infinity - Now there's a very interesting game. Problem is, it's not out yet... not for at least another year.

No comments: