Saturday, February 11, 2006

Beer in Montreal

While Montréal is not in Belgium, we do have a strong-and-growing beer culture. Montréal has a strong nightlife for such a 'small' city and It seems it has its roots deep in the local culture. The province was the last to pass a prohibition law in 1919, and the first to repel it in 1920. This city (and Quebec city to a lesser degree) was THE legal big city to drink in (until 1933). Even today, the legal drinking age is still 3 years lower than in the US and we get american tourists than come here just to drink.

Since around 1980, there seems to be an international interest to revive Brewpubs and Montréal is no exception. I found a nice website, that details brewpubs in Montréal and a couple of good bars. I personnaly plan on trying them all, if I can. Here is a quick list of the ones I went to and had a good experience:
And I got to try:

Garçon! Une bière S'il-vous-plait!

No comments: